In earlier versions of PageSeeder, perspectives were known as style views. The change was due to the ambiguity of the word 'style' in publishing, however 'style views' persist in parts of the source code. The purpose of perspectives is to show or hide information in the user interface. This allows users to focus on specific aspects of the system and can improve productivity.
Perspectives are mostly free of permission dependencies, which are determined by the role of a member. A notable exception to this is the developer perspective. For security reasons, most of the content of this view is restricted to administrators.
With PageSeeder Version 4.9, there were five default perspectives, this has been collapsed to three for 5.0:
- Developer perspective – includes a number of tools and documentation to help PageSeeder developers.
- Perspective – Content – (deprecated in 5.0) the role of this perspective was to provide a minimalist interface for casual users. With the new interface, this is no longer necessary.
- Perspective – standard – this is the default view for members.
- Perspective – lab – allows for experimental or beta-functionality for the more adventurous.
- Perspective – Five – (deprecated in 5.0) this allowed people to begin using the new interface, this is now standard.
Users can change perspective by hovering over the perspective icon (cube) at the top left of the page.
Creating a Perspective
When justified, existing perspectives can be modified or new ones created by adding an extension to an existing perspective (e.g.
mystyle.developer) then overriding the CSS files, XSLT templates or the layout configuration.
The custom files should be located in the following folders:
create a view folder in the style view directory under
copy CSS and images folders to the newly created folder
create a view folder under the style owner directory
WEB-INF\template\[style owner].[style view]
and copy the XSLT stylesheets following the same hierarchy as a style owner.
Layout Manager Configuration file
templates directory created for the XSLT stylesheets, create the XML configuration file:
WEB-INF\template\[style owner].[style view]\Layout\config.xml
Each perspective should be referenced in the project.properties for the corresponding PageSeeder project. For example, the perspective
'xyz' can be set as the default by adding / creating the following file:
with the following statements:
Created on , last edited on